Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jan. 6 The kids left almost bright and early. You never quite know when the Flamingo flight is going to arrive but they all made their connections ok.

Jan 7-10 The weather continued to be wonderful and kayaking became the sport for the ladies.(Susan from No Agenda, Susan from Exodus, and myself.) Everyday, we went to check out another boat or island gabbing as we went. We went to Exodus for cocktails one night and went to the beach for cocktails another.


Jan. 11 Another beautiful day in paradise. we took the dinghy to Staniel and got rid of the garbage. I went to the bakery to get a photo of Rhonda with her bread for my Passagemaker magazine article and on to the Blue store for a few things. Later that afternoon, our 5 trawlers joined up on the beach for a fish fry. Ray and Jim had caught some wahoo and mahi mahi ,which was fried on Jim’s camping stove, and everyone brought something to round out the dinner. Afterwards, we all sat by the fire in our wonderful fire pit.


Jan. 12 Susan from Exodus and I decided to kayak circumnavigate Fowl Cay. We made it through the narrow cut by the resort with no trouble as the current was with us. Paddling up the back side was also no problem as we stayed mostly out of the current which was now against us. At the western end of the island was a shallow spot that we had to go around and get into the current. I was able to paddle around and get back to shore to rest but Susan got caught in the strong current further out and couldn’t make it. I turned around and waved to her to get closer to shore which she did. Back along the island we went till we got to the narrow cut which we couldn’t push through. I had our radio and called John to come rescue us. He tried to tow both of us on either side of the dinghy but my kayak flipped in the current and I went for a swim. He got my kayak up on the dinghy and tried to tow Susan in her’s but her painter (bow line) broke and she flipped too. John got Susan and me into the dinghy and loaded my kayak as well. Our hero! He took us to Pirate beach and we paddled the rest of the way back to our boats. Susan lost her prescription sun glasses when she flipped so John and I went back later to the cut to try to find them but had no luck. As I was swimming near the dinghy and looking for them, a 4ft baracuda came swimming into the cut and swam right by me! When we got back to our boat to take another swim, he was under the boat enjoying the shade! A photo is attached.

1 comment: