Monday, February 21, 2011

Feb. 12 It was my birthday! The kids left and the heavens let loose with rain and wind for the rest of the day. I started a good book about a girl who rowed across the Atlantic in a 27 ft rowboat and I couldn’t put it down. Dinner was just us but we ate leftovers so I didn’t have to cook.

Feb. 13 It was still windy so I read. Steadfast came back to the anchorage to be on tap for Valentines Day at Sampson Cay.

Feb. 14 Valentines Day! I decided to make some cookies from a recipe that a friend had given me for my birthday. They were basically oatmeal but they had dried fruits and nuts in them. The special part was the soaking if the fruits in rum before adding them. We gave some to Steadfast for Valentines Day. My birthday was combined with this holiday and we all went for our celebration dinner. Romero made many courses including lobster!  and a wonderful chocolate lava cake for dessert and we rolled into the dinghy. Luckily, there was a moon so we could “see” our way back to the anchorage.


Feb. 15 We did various things and I went for a swim. Our new friends on “Mystic”,who were once again anchored near us, came by to tell us how they enjoyed “$2 Tuesday” at Sampson Cay so we invited them to cocktails. $2 was just started by chef Romero to get people into the resort. He sells everything for $2 and the cruisers love it!


Feb. 16 We went to Staniel to get groceries and ran into our friend John from “Jenny Marie”. We hadn’t seen him in a month and it was fun to catch up. I read most of the day and finished working on the new movie list. It is great having the internet at my fingertips to look up stray movie information. John worked on boat bills, ugh! but we came together for cocktails and a rousing hand of Biriba. After a leftover dinner, we watched several movies to add their reviews to the new list before I printed it. I finished my book!


Feb. 17 It was still windy but sunny. We vacuumed the boat and I cooked up the zucchini I had bought yesterday. We needed to moved down to Black Point so that we could be on tap for art classes tomorrow with Sharon and the kids. After we anchored, I heated up some leftover Sampson pizza, to which I had added some extra vegetables, and John poured the wine. Life is good!

Feb. 18 In to Black Point to help Sharon with the little children doing an art project. The older students will be decorating frames for their art class, in a few weeks, so I took photos of each student and John helped me edit them and print them on our little photo printer. Back to the boat for lunch and off, in the afternoon, to Big Majors. We had to pick a deep spot as the tides were going to be big over the next few days due to the full moon. After we anchored, I called my mom and wished her a happy 87th birthday and made a second batch of the sinful cookies.

 Feb. 19 Up and in the dinghy to go and pick up our next guests, Dick Schulze (mom’s neighbor in Greenwich) and his cousin, Wolfgang who lives in Nassau and who flew his plane down for the weekend. We whisked them to the boat for a curried chicken salad lunch, followed by sinful cookies, out on the aft deck in the shade. Before they could digest, we got them in our extra snorkeling gear and took them to Thunderball Grotto while the tide was slack low. They really enjoyed that experience and wanted to see more so we took them to the Fowl Cay cut to “fly” over the coral gardens and then to the beach to warm up for a moment. Their stay was going to be short so we then dinghied them up to OverYonder Cay to see all the construction going on there and then to Sampson to see the marina. Finally, we took them back to the boat for a shower and to get ready for cocktails aboard and dinner at Staniel Cay Yacht Club. We all had the lamb chops and everything was delicious. Dick was our host. John had been salivating for lamb chops since he first heard they were coming! Once back at the boat, John and Wolfie had cigars and after dinner drinks on the aft deck and I went to bed.

Feb. 20 After breakfast, we decided to take them for a ride on the mother ship down to see and feed the iguanas on Bitter Guana Cay. After anchoring, we noticed the other trawler in the anchorage was flying a CCA burgee like ours and they were ashore. John took us in to feed the iguanas and went over to introduce himself to the other people. As I came up the beach, he called to me that there was someone in their group that wanted to say hi to me. I saw the lady and heard her laugh and realized she was the daughter of one of my parents best friends and I hadn’t seen her in probably 20 yrs.! They were down cruising in the Exumas for the winter. We gabbed and then went our separate ways hoping to meet up in a few weeks. Swimming back to the boat and some cookies and lunch were in order. We then moved the boat back to Big Majors and took them to their plane. It was a quick but wonderful visit. I decide I am going to teach John how to cook the sinful cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment